JOB SUMMARY: Under limited supervision, performs coding on all diagnoses, procedures, and related services according to applicable coding guidelines for all outpatient-designated account types (Clinic, EC, Day Surgery, Observation, Specialty Clinic, Ancillary, Other). Uses ICD-9-CM, CPT-4, and HCPCS code sets to appropriately assign and sequence codes identified within the outpatient medical record. Applies the most accurate codes for reimbursement purposes, research, epidemiology, statistical analysis outcomes, financial and strategic planning, evaluation of quality of care, and communication to support the patient's treatment. Maintains the confidentiality of patient records and procedures.
1. Education/Specialized Training/Licensure: High school diploma or GED
CPC/CPC-H and/or CCS/CCS-P and/or RHIA/RHIT credential(s) required
2. Work Experience: One (1) year of outpatient coding experience
3. Management Experience: None required
4. Equipment Operated: 3M encoder interfaced with EPIC electronic medical record billing system 5. Observation /Day Surgery Coding and or Emergency Department Coding experience preferred
1. Communication Skills:
2. Other Skills:
CRT, Medical Terminology, P.C., Anatomy & Physiology Successful Completion 80% on Coding Exam
3. Work Schedule: Weekends, Holidays, Flexible
4. Other Requirements: Knowledge of medical terminology and abbreviations, anatomy and physiology, major disease processes, and pharmacology.
Knowledge of coding conventions and rules established by the American Medical Association (AMA), the Center for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS), the ICD-9-CM Official Coding Guidelines AHIMA, and AAPC for assignment of diagnostic and procedural codes.
Knowledge of the Privacy Act of 1974 and HIPAA Privacy Rule Act of 1996.
Skill in understanding medical coding and billing procedures and protocols.
Skill in linking diagnoses to services and applying appropriate codes to diagnoses, procedures, evaluation and management services, and other related services.
Skill in operating a personal computer utilizing the Epic EMR, 3M Encoder, and a variety of software applications.
Skill in oral communication and presenting written information to providers (via queries).